The third pollution
- Publication date
- 16mm Film, Educational Film, Refuse and refuse disposal, Integrated solid waste management, Water supply, Air pollution, Culture and social processes, Natural resources conservation, Urban ecology, Urbanization, Social issues, Attitudes and opinions
- Falls Church, Virginia : Stuart Finley, Inc.
- Digitizing sponsor
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
Portrays America's solid waste problem and its relation to air pollution and water contamination. Outlines alternatives for community action, including procedures for obtaining federal or state assistance.
- 2015-02-20 19:23:03
- So the you might someday be. Known. As the generation that's good made even big rockets at the moon. The rural America. For whom were all. Her or whatever the food aid whose thank you for who were arrested for error whoever or whatever else who has the Iraq war or who're the poor. The poor. The the poor who were on. Water pollution may flow it abroad or someone else down strange air pollution may blow away the atmosphere down with the third pollution solid waste just piles up in staggering want for it on the average each of us generates for the half ounce of refuse a day nearly a thousand a year for America. Fourteen. Hundred. Ten thousand tons of household refuse every day. Trade ways. Streets letter and league. Terry Lane. And bread. Patiently waiting for the jury. Most urban communities in America. Everyone energetically disposes of these unwanted materials one hundred fifty million. To incinerate bills or. There are conflicting criteria. For this. Election the disposal. Of. This burning in Washington D.C.. Pollution and to air pollution. Six miles. Contain seventy percent of the Earth's total air control variables. Situation is. Going over a big city. A typical city skyline with a wisp of smoke dispersing into the atmosphere. New York City has over ten thousand individually owned flew Fed incinerators. This piteous knowledge health hazard. Every year automobile industry power plants. Furnishes and refuse disposal systems throughout the country. Then to one hundred twenty five million tons of pollutants in the atmosphere. Improper method of solid waste disposal can also generate water pollution. But even more insidious than the effect on surface water is the possibility of ground water pollution. And even seepage through poorly engineered sanitary landfills can lead to Lucian into the subsurface water just. The National Academy of Sciences National Research Council comments that pollution is a resource out of place this garbage which could be converted to compost with fertilizer value is discarded instead of nuisance hazard to help the United States Public Health Service warns that flies cockroaches and mosquitoes carry a disease. And so to write. This followed waste problem is an economic paradigm. Reluctantly we spend over three billion dollars a year to collect in this poser I refuse of all public services only roads and schools cost more and yet our efforts to salvage use materials with value are inadequate. Initial policies frequently go it alone rather than organize regional systems which would. A more effective and efficient industrial support is needed to stem the flow of one way bottles and Nanda great about plastics and aluminum cans which compound the problem. Cities counties municipal regions States all the device up to this very real requirement. Some tips on the solid waste management. The emission Canyon sanitary landfill is one of several serving Los Angeles it receives three to four thousand tons of refuse a day its operation is one of the best in the world. Aside is very landfill is more than a landfill a good senator landfill is anesthetic cleared settable coordinated operation which receives and quickly buries refuse to prevent air pollution by smoke and order disease transmission by rodents environment and other nuisances and has. Big earthmovers spread playing style over the refuse after it has been placed completing coverage by the end of each day's operation. Backing the Ville will diminish drainage problems reduced subsequent saddle and prevent older rat infestation and the emergence of any hatching fly larvae. This ambitious operation is more expensive than open dumping it can be satisfactorily conducted near residential areas. That's permitting closer location and reduced following God in some cities as much as eighty percent of total because I devoted to collection and hauling and so the Los Angeles County Sanitation District transfer refuse to huge trucks while strategically located in landfills throughout the metropolitan area. No one wants to live next to a dump but what about a sanitary landfill if it is properly operated the nuisance is negligible. Many landfill areas are not subsequently develop. Intensively due to the possibility of slide settlement of the fill us instead of being surrounded by other development the nearby homeowner and be next to a park or Greens. By way of contrast this action and operations serving the stroller community of wealthy in Illinois it is privately operated and is located on flat terrain instead of selling a roadie. Incidentally refuse collection and disposal must continue rain or shine summer or winter. While some future technique which could recycle our waste might be more desirable theoretically the sanitary landfill is practical economics say and currently being used by many large cities and smaller community. The you. The incinerator without a smoke stack. Many years ago when incineration was first used to reduce the volume of refuse the crowd aberration and offensive smoke from these bonuses caused extensive public opposition while there are still many deficient operations throughout the country today engineers are devising Hanson of fish and a nuisance free incinerators this new unit at Oceanside Long Island as a capacity of seven hundred fifty tons per day in addition to burning refuse this in center ater includes i waste heat recovery complex providing both power generation and salt water conversion the architect designed a building to appear to the casual observer to be a school or institutional type build. Even though refuse disposal creates only a small percentage of total air pollution public operation of these facilities requires that they set an example. Accordingly the town of Hempstead has incorporated a complicated network of large arrestor which catch the flyer before it can emerge from the stack as visible as. By adjusting Deford's optimum velocities are maintained. Permitting the scrubbers to clean the gasses peril as a result no tall smokestack is need first is driving by the oceanside plan would have a hard time guessing that this is the town in generating. Just as the sanitary landfill is an improvement over opened up thing. Today's incinerator is merely an improvement over open burning and further improvements are needed here Professor Elmer Kaiser is New York University and that's working experiments at the oceanside plant under sponsorship of the US Public Health or the recently passed solid waste disposal like places a strong emphasis on research. At Oceanside. It was possible to use excess heat from the available waste to decide ocean water at a lower cost than other locally available water supply instead of an ugly single purpose burn is the town of have said has invested in a sophisticated solid waste disposal plant with by products of electric power generation and water desalination ultimate future development of the potentials in this type of process. My definitely involve water purification for public water supply and sewage treatment. The. At Manhattan College in New York City a pilot plant built by the national waste conversion corporation demonstrates a new techniques in composting you know civil rights look out at least shredded garbage and trash is the input material objects are taken out birds and then metal is removed by magnets After grad. Then the raw pope undergoes complete aerobic bacterial digestion for a period of forty eight to sixty hours. Composting process will convert refuse with as much as eighty five percent paper content. Are surely did Justin is recycling acid or alkaline correction is made and nitrogen phosphorus and protect. The final product is a granular blowing dust free material containing controlled part of the food enrichment it isn't are getting a saleable product design for the Garden market or the heart. At Glendale California another pilot plant this is the land it's in minutes ago rather agricultural refuge or industrial waste. These combustible materials are carbonized through a process called destructive distillation this is a continuous flow self-sustaining operation one product is combustible gas about thirty percent of the Is are fed back to sustain the process. As. The other product is charcoal which can be formed into a brick and also used as fuel for example converter composed two tons of wood scraps per hour producing eight hundred pounds of charcoal hundred thousand cubic feet of with the resultant surplus of over fifty million between uses. One of the successful examples being plants in the United States is that Altoona Pennsylvania field how did I just expedites the gesture. A role that. This digester provides control over forest to govern the south generated temperature of the material. JUSTER is part of the equipment used by the Altoona fam corporation. Martially successful converter of garbage refuse sewage sludge animal and other waste into a usable combos stores while condition some of the compost is sold commercially but most of it is sold in bulk shipments to fertilizer company truck farms and local farmer's. This composting plant in California is not being operated partly because there is no market whether silo condition here dairy waste or a competing product and are cheaper to the primer last composting usually is not thought of as a business but rather as an alternative to incinerating or landfill operation. Thus justifying it as a college friend of. Agricultural solid waste involved huge volumes of manure. Proper residues and waste from rural industries such as proof packing stands canneries and packing houses. This mountain of Calvin or near Los Angeles has no market. Nationally fifty billion cubic feet of livestock manure is produced every year and less and less is being used as fertilizer chemical fertilizers are cheaper waste from swine chicken and Catalonia are equivalent to ten times the waste from the human population of the United States. Man is the prime factor in the world the college up until now his role as Ben presently that of a mischief maker as his activities have progressive Leon balanced one ecological system after another but the future could see him as a tranquilizing influence soothing nature's extreme rain in the desert back to life. Processing and recycling our solid waste is fundamental the federal government already offers state and local governments. Survey on planning grants and then inspiration brag and storm will attack America solid waste problem even more vigorously. Members of the American Public Works Association are interested in both. The practical and theoretical aspects of solid waste managed this leaders from government and industry are involved in training programs and personnel records and research projects which will result in better technology for tomorrow. The UN persons trash basket is another's living space. The knowledge industry is a three billion dollar a year business. Most salvage company specialize in reclaiming metals but more diversified operations are being developed. Everything that is salvaged would otherwise end up in an incinerator are allowed to film or a down or they can live this gigantic spreader in Los Angeles. Eats all the washing machines used bathtubs and I'll dated automobile. Their least seven million vehicles are junked every year there are between twenty and forty million old car how it's rusting away and see you or auto graveyard and the fact that I was in the you. Meantime two thousand cars a mug. RANDALL The New York City street. You might call this gentleman an auto undertaking is preparing the body for was probably will be an indecent burial in the city line for the salvage industry as an active research program but a greater public effort would help every turn of salvage material saved. Taxpayer dollars and many salvage operation conserve our limited natural resources for example. Iron is a non-renewable resource. Concentrated in always over millions of years by geological process allowed were older dispersed it is Eric is overly long. But the metals industries are not the only fruitful areas for effective than profitable salvage operation a new factoring produces huge quantities of industrial waste and many of them such as this pope residue could be put to good use. Out in San Francisco there's a song that goes seventy miles of wind and rain. Seventy miles of water seventy miles of open bay it's a garbage dump. Sludge puzzled sad and grave. Why man that's San Francisco Bay. Once this was a beautiful little cove of San Francisco Bay Now it isn't obviously not too sanitary landfill the refuse from San Francisco is being swept under the rug here while the suburb of Brisbane bristles but can do nothing about it. The contenders and there's likely battles a private scavenger Corp San Francisco and Brisbane officials and a vigilante committee of angry citizens and just to add insult to injury this once beautiful section of San Francisco Bay has been dying and filling has begun. I EVER public reaction has been so strenuous that it seems pride likely the practice of selling San Francisco Bay with refugees or anything else must be discontinued there are alternatives. Some remote talian such as this might be filled and converted into a park or new techniques of handling solid way. This might be tried but these are all turn it is cost money. Meantime San Francisco's illogical program which has evaded a routine municipal responsibility only to cause the destruction of an irreplaceable natural resource is testimony that man candy is own worst enemy. If it's beautiful novel and easy to open. Man will buy He gives no thought to the degrade ability of the packaging around his favorite consumer product. This plastic container will be on ratted on rusted totally unaffected. Perhaps a million years from now. Sixty percent of soft drinks are sold in no return bottles Miles said travels are a convenience to consumers and the retailers alike and a source of profit to the industry. Their use increases the work and consequently the cost of refuse disposal and litter control. Container manufacturers make many of today's cans out of unrest of aluminum the packaging industry and retailers should search for a new method which will diminish these problems as a consumer you can help by purchasing products packaged in such a manner as to be compatible with litter control and refuse disposal problems. A bus load of angry citizens on their way to the Kenilworth landfill in Washington D.C.. They call it the dumb because it looks like a duck and the landfill operation is an addict. Their particular complaint is the grossly air pollution from the burning of a million cubic yards of trash every year one fourth of all the liked it in the District of Columbia for years City officials have been trying to build up. And Senator to solve this emergency situation but every time they find a location nearby property owners complain loudly enough to prevent. Meantime Washington's air pollution gets word. America generates over a billion cubic yards of refuse annually a whole hard times the size of the Panama Canal problem but not in ardently difficult public officials work at but ultimately the quality of the result is proportional to the citizen support in the community. Public apathy will result in unprofessional practice. Public interest can stimulate new system which will make our environment safe and beautiful and preserve America's valuable natural resource.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)
Uploaded by scampbell3 on